28 March 2010

Saturday Night Fever

Yesterday morning, when I asked Andrew what he wanted for dinner, he hauled out a book from the marvellous Maggie Beer and declared that we should have Yabby Tail Ravioli (yabbies are small freshwater crayfish).

Unfortunately, when he got to the Fish Markets, the yabbies - like me - had decided that they've had enough of summer, so none were available. Instead, he got prawns and oysters.

No problem. I figured we'd have prawn ravioli. Rolling the pasta was a 3-person job, as the clamp for the machine seems to have disappeared in the move - Andrew acted as clamp, I fed in and guided the pasta, Phoebe turned the rollers (Holden had escaped).

Things went a little awry from there. Instead of elegant, silky ravioli, we ended up with crazy-looking dumplings. Thank goodness they weren't for a dinner party.

We had them with a simple sauce of freshly picked cherry tomatoes (from my community garden plot) and then fried up the rest of the prawn mousseline as patties.

So, not a raging success ... Perhaps I will make up for it today by baking a pumpkin pie.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

I'll admit to never having been a crayfish fan -- always find them too gamey-muddy tasting and would have much preferred your prawn filling.
Have to 'fess up -- with every intention, last week, of following your good example and cooking up a dinner party, I caved and accepted an invitation instead -- so I was an appreciative foodie on the other side of the table last night.

We did a ravioli-making dinner party a few years ago (just with adult family members) and that was lots of fun. . . maybe time to resurrect the idea.

Do you ever do gnocchi?

Tiffany said...

Yabbies are delicious - none of that muddiness - but I'm also very partial to prawns ...
Accepting an invitation is just as good - we do fancy meals because we go out so little!
A ravioli-making party sounds like a great laugh.
And yes, I've made gnocchi a few times, including a ricotta gnocchi and a pumpkin gnocchi. It just never looks quite as neat as the bought stuff!