26 August 2010

Romy & Michele's High School Reunion

My 25 year high school class reunion starts tomorrow - in Singapore, which is where I went to school. I'm not going to be there. I missed the 20th reunion as well, because I was on an internship for my Masters.

I'm feeling a little sad. I would love to go back to Singapore. I have been back many times since I left home, and it's a very different city to what it was when I was growing up, but it still draws me. So I'm sad about that.

I'm also disappointed to miss seeing some people who will be there - a few of them were good friends of mine, back in the day.

Here, for the amusement of anyone reading this, is a pic of some of us on a school trip to France (yes, from Singapore).


I am the gormless tiny creature at the far left, in my fantastically awful red hat and silly expression. The girl next to me was the most popular girl in our year, the whole way through - she was clever and sporty too. And, you know what else? She is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about her. Hate that. She isn't going this year. In the middle is someone who rode horses at the same club as me - she's organised a lot of the reunion. It will be a shame not to see her. And in the insane fluffy hat? Well, there's our high achiever. She came to our wedding, because she was working at the Canadian High Commission in Canberra (spouse was most taken with her - not the first time THAT happened, trust me). Last time I heard from her, she was the Canadian High Commissioner for Cambodia, all four foot eleven of her, but that was a while back ...

So, in some ways I wish I could be there. In other ways I'm glad to avoid the inevitable comparisons, the competition, the feeling that so few of us ended up quite where we thought we might.

I'll share one more photo, because this gives a sense of what I was like when I left high school. Fierce. (I had shaved my head for $200 bet some weeks before.) The girl next to me still looks EXACTLY like she does in this photo ...

5 comments:

Susan B said...

You look really cute with the crew cut, I must say. You really have the bone structure to carry it off.

I'm going to my 35th (!) in a few weeks. There will be some people there who were at my 4th birthday party!

materfamilias said...

Wow! You're a dead ringer for Jean Seberg in that photo! Not many women can get away with such a stark cut, but you look great in it.
I've ignored every high school reunion invitation I've ever got, although there are, as with you, some people I'd love to see again. I suspect, in my case, that those people wouldn't be the ones who would attend, and it's so very long ago now that the whole thing seems irrelevant -- we've never been to any of Pater's either. And both of us live within three hours of where we grew up and went to school!

Tiffany said...

Pseu, that must be amazing - people you've known that long! I have a few friends I've been close to since I was about 11, but that's it. Hard when you grow up in a different country.

Mater, I agree that many of the people you want to see don't go to the reunions - I remind myself that I have 'found' most of my dearest friends on Facebook and so we will see each other if and when the opportunity arises (one is coming from Toronto to NYC to see me in November!).

Thanks for the compliments on the hair cut, BTW.

That's Not My Age said...

I think your hair looks fabulous and you look much the same today. I have a friend I've known since secondary school,so we've known each other for over 30 years - we're more like family really.

Tiffany said...

Thanks TNMA. I know what you mean about being like family - I have one girlfriend I've known for over 30 years and her mother treats me like the extra daughter!