16 August 2010

Saturday Night Fever

No cooking to report - we went to a party! It was a 50th for someone we know through Kid 1's sport (which, as I have reported many times, is excessive by anyone's standards, especially mine).

It was fun, but as Spouse commented during our Sunday morning party post mortem, it felt more like a 21st. Not because we were all young and gorgeous, but because the speeches (emailed from the UK, where Mr 50 comes from) were all focused on the hijinx and hilarity of university days.

The anecdotes were funny, but it was strange that nobody - not even the party man himself - mentioned anything about his life now. He is married to a fabulous woman, has two lovely kids, and a stack of friends who don't come from the UK or share that past.

I'm as prone to nostalgia as anyone, but when I hit the big FIVE OH, I want to be celebrating my life NOW, not trying to relive my youth. When I do get to 50, Kid 1 will turn 21, and Kid 2 will be 18, so it's going to be a serious year of parties ... something to look forward to!

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

I've been to too many 50th b.d. parties -- not too much speech-making that isn't of the "roast" variety. Is that nervousness, do you think, of the fellow with the cloack and the sickle we sense grinning silently in the background? Laugh loudly and keep the serious thoughts at bay?
I agree with you that the occasion would seem just as/more suitable to celebrating our good fortune in the now -- I felt very lucky at my 50th, family and friends all 'round, work I liked doing, travel opportunities I could finally almost afford . . .

Tiffany said...

You're right, of course, Mater ... I hope when I get there I remember to look forward rather than backward!