10 August 2010

The September Issue

I know, I've used this blog title before. But this time I have a good reason - I recently took on a new (part-time) role as section editor of a magazine, and my first issue is ... September.

This explains why I am choosing to resume my blog - I'm avoiding deadlines, in the time-honoured tradition of journalists everywhere. That is all I will say about the job, because it is Very Boring.

Right now, apart from avoiding deadlines across all my writing jobs, my life is taken up with a mixture of domestic stuff, family, yoga, planning our trip to NYC and baseball. I know, it's not even summer yet. We're signing people up for next season. Blood from a stone, etc.

I never played sport (unless forced). It is a mystery to me how I have ended up being a soccer/baseball/sailing mum. No doubt it is something to do with the fact that I produced kids with a maniac runner, who is currently defying logic by running faster as he gets older. Sunday was Sydney's annual City to Surf run, and Andrew ran a PB of under 54 minutes; poor Holden missed out on the run as he had to play football. Phoebe, at least, carries my fine sporting genes and slept through it all ...

And speaking of lunacy, my brother recently walked the 750km Camino de Santiago (Way of St James) pilgrimmage in Spain. No, he is not Catholic. But his name is James. And walking 750km is his idea of a holiday.

It is 10 degrees C in my office (a corner of the garage), and pouring rain outside. I am wearing three layers of wool, thick tights and a disconsolate expression.

5 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

Congratulations on the new job! I'm engaging in a bit of deadline avoidance right now.

Tiffany said...

Thanks TNMA. I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from deadline avoidance syndrome - imagine how much less blogging would happen if we didn't have work deadlines!

materfamilias said...

Oh, I'm soooo glad to have you back writing, with your sense of humour clearly intact, not dampened at all but your confrontation with deadlines. Congrats on the new job.

Weird in edgewise said...

I've recently discovered your blog - I really like the title - talk about underpromising!

I read the bit "it's not even summer yet" and thought, huh? Ah, you're in Australia. Here, it's 29C with 95% humidity. For some reason, I find that funny

Regards,
New reader from Canada

Tiffany said...

Hi Mater! Lovely to hear from you, as ever. I found that I just had to resume the blog because otherwise I have thoughts fizzing around in my head that won't go away. Once I sort them out and write them down, I can approach (my version of) sanity again!

And hello to Oneweirdword - I'm looking forward to getting absorbed in your blog - it looks like just my kind of blog! I also find the Northern/Southern hemisphere thing amusing, since most of the blogs I read are from your part of the world. I'm shivering while you guys are sweating ...