02 August 2011

The Grey Zone

I found my first grey hair at 19. A few years ago, after a couple of vanity-free months in South America (no makeup, only sunscreen, no hair cut or colour, the shabbiest of clothes), I had my hair cropped super short in San Francisco. I didn't mind the sprinkling of grey that was revealed, but when I got back to work one of my junior colleagues asked me about my retirement plans. I was 39 at that point and somewhat wounded, so I went back to colouring it. Since then I've had dark brown, red, strawberry blonde, superblonde and all variations in between.

But you know what? I hate going to the hairdresser. I hate the time wasted sitting in a chair while waiting for my hair to turn a different colour. I hate having to make inane conversation (or perhaps not being able to choose with whom to have that inane conversation). 

So a couple of weeks ago I went and had it cut but not coloured. I can't really calculate how much grey I've got, but it's plenty. And guess what? I love it. I will have to get someone to take a photo some time. Think Jamie Lee Curtis without the cleavage ...

3 comments:

Susan B said...

I'm very excited to see how it looks!

materfamilias said...

Pictures please . . . I'll be glad to have some inspiration, altho' I actually enjoy the time with my hairdresser and suspect that when I do decide to go grey, I'll still do some kind of highlighting/colour enhancing for at least the first while.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Pseu and Mater - you know I'm terribly camera-shy, but if I can steel myself, I will certainly post.

Responses have been interesting - lots of positive from other women, a few bemused comments from older men ...

The only thing I've really noticed is I HAVE TO wear lipstick. Which is not such a bad thing.