08 August 2011

Saturday Night Fever

On Saturday night we had people over. The plan was to have dinner and then play games. Yes, very nerdy, I know, but rather a fun way to spend an evening.

It didn't quite turn out like that. One couple optimistically brought their almost two-year-old and their 9-week old baby. Miss Almost Two wasn't at all bad, she just declined to sleep, so Kid 2 spent most of the evening wrangling her.

Then one of our guests pulled out at 4pm. (Is it just me or is that not awfully rude? Barring a death in the family ...) So we asked another couple, who ALSO have a 9-week old baby. Bravely, they accepted. Baby was ever so good.

Nevertheless, by 10pm, we conceded defeat. At least we got to eat (gougeres, beef bourguignon - yes, I'm lazy - bread, salad, apple tart) and chat and have a few glasses of wine between people disappearing for feeds and the toddler trying to kill the animals.


5 comments:

Susan B said...

The food sounds yummy anyway. :-)

materfamilias said...

I bet the families with the young babies really appreciated a night out, dinner cooked for them, and the toddler entertained. I know that would have been perfect for me at that 9-week-old stage . . . especially with your scrumptious cooking.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Pseu - and yes, Mater, I think that being fed was a big bonus for the couples with babies ...

Weird in edgewise said...

I had a phase where I was pulling out of social engagements at the last minute - I was having panic attacks and was too embarrassed to tell my friends I couldn't handle going out... Sometimes, there's a good reason!

Tiffany said...

OWW, I do understand the sudden inability to face company like that - the only reason I was cranky was that this particular guest has pulled the same trick on us several times. Once I can simply shrug; twice I can please extenuating circumstances; three times, I start to get annoyed ... Particularly as she had asked to be invited. Maybe next time :)