03 June 2010

An Education


Yesterday, Kid 1 and I had harsh words about his education. Well, I had harsh words AT Kid 1 regarding his perceived lack of effort at school.

Later, I apologised for my delivery; not for my opinion, which I maintain, but the way I expressed it. Kid 1 said, equably, 'That's OK. It's like Scout [the dog]'. I must have looked mystified. 'Sometimes', explained Kid 1, 'you really have to shout at him for him to understand that what he is doing is wrong.'

I didn't mean to treat him like the dog.

6 comments:

Susan B said...

Awwww. Someday he's going to thank you for pushing him to do well in school.

Tiffany said...

Funny, isn't it, Pseu, I think - even though he doesn't like us 'hassling' him (as he calls it) - he already has an idea that we are trying (!) to do the right thing ...

materfamilias said...

Lovely! I wonder if some unconscious wisdom brought him that analogy. It's so perfect, acknowledging the value of/need for your correction and at the same time spurring you to revise your tactics for next time.

Tiffany said...

Yes, mater, underneath his occasionally surly almost-teen (four weeks) exterior, he's a very sensitive and sometimes wise child ... It is SO interesting watching them grow into adults.

Wendy said...

What a beautiful photo of Holden! Can you please sent it to me as a jpg file? Yes, he's not only bright but perceptive. and did I detect a slight deepening of his voice last time I spoke to him on the phone?

Tiffany said...

Ma, I don't think his voice is deepening, but he has the trace of a little fluff on his upper lip ... he was a baby five minutes ago, I swear!