14 June 2010

Saturday Night Fever

It's been a long weekend here, and one in which I seem to have been cooking and/or eating almost non-stop, but nothing I cooked stands out enough to mention (although I did cook my first chocolate souffle). And I successfully made yoghurt (something that I've always failed at in the past) and I have a sourdough starter fermenting happily away ... you see, if I didn't live in the inner city and work as a corporate copywriter, I'd be a PERFECT farmer's wife. Hmm. Shame I married a journalist.

And speaking of food, as I generally am, we are planning a few days in Melbourne during the kids' school holidays, so I have to find places to eat. I'm rather excited about it, as there is an amazing exhibition on at the National Gallery of Victoria, plus Melbourne is the fashion capital of Australia (Sydney is a) too hot; b) too casual; c) too, um, flashy); AND there is fabulous food down there too. We're planning to fly down, then drive back via my family in country New South Wales. A modest and rather parochial little holiday, but it will be fun to hang out with the kids, and we've always enjoyed the driving - you end up talking about things that simply never get a look-in during the usual domestic chaos.

5 comments:

materfamilias said...

You are so modest but that's a whack of impressive cooking! I haven't made a souffle in, really, decades, and never ever a chocolate one. Sometimes I think I should retire alongside Pater -- there are so many things I think well worth doing that I just can't seem to make time for anymore.
I used to treasure those kinds of family road trips, even though there were inevitable squabbles and kilometres of boredeom -- the enforced intimacy does yield conversations, story-telling, and shared laughter that I remember many years later -- enjoy!

Wendy said...

sourdough starter? Do I detect the start of a bread-making fanatic? Join the club!

Tiffany said...

Mater, on current projections, spouse and I think we'll be able to retire when we're about 75 (!) so I have to jam my playtime activities into the weekends as best I can ... And you're so right about the enforced intimacy - we spent 12 days in an RV travelling in the US and it has provided some of the best family memories.

Ma, I don't think I'll be a bread-making fanatic till I have more time, but you might recall I used to bake every single day when I lived in the UK. Something about the whole process really appeals to me ...

Wendy said...

Yes, time's the thing. How about a bread machine for the mixing and rising; you can always pop it in the oven for the final, hands-on touch?

Tiffany said...

Ma, my kitchen is truly so tiny that there isn't room for a bread machine ...