04 June 2010

Saturday Night Fever

The other day, apropos of not very much at all, Spouse said 'I think we should buy more art'. I agreed wholeheartedly, but had to point out that, what with mortgages, school fees, braces, too many pets and a trip to NYC in November, it was probably low-ish on the list of financial priorities.

But obviously art got stuck in my brain. Yesterday I went to a couple of exhibitions with a friend of mine - at the second, instead of buying any of the paintings (done by a friend), I just HAD TO buy this small steel sculpture.


And on Friday I pre-ordered a book of Cressida Campbell's woodblock paintings (because I couldn't possbily afford to buy the real thing ... ever). I don't speak 'art', so all I can say is that I utterly love her work.


[Image from www.cressidacampbell.com]

And I found this painting from a South Australian artist whose still life work I really like ... it's not my favourite of her quince paintings, but it's on the market.


Anyway, back to regular programming. Because I was going to an opening at 5pm, I had to get dinner done largely in advance; because my vegetarian SIL was coming, I had to cook vegetarian. So I cheated and cooked things I know are foolproof - fresh tomato soup and a Persian vegetable omelette with walnuts (served with yoghurt). For dessert I did cook something I hadn't cooked before, which was pecan pie. As I made the soup during the day, pre-baked my pie crust and kept the main simple, it was easy to get back from the show at six thirty and have dinner on the table at seven thirty ...

6 comments:

Wendy said...

The sculpture is totally enchanting! What's the name of the Australian artist who did the quinces? I'm sure I've seen her work at Red Sea Gallery in Singapore.I wanted to buy one of her paintings for you! (terlalu mahal) (http://www.redseagallery.com)

Tiffany said...

The artist who painted the quinces is Bridget Ohlsson. She died in 2002, aged only 42 - I can't find out anything much about her online - so her work is kind of expensive these days. One of her paintings is on the cover of Maggie Beer's book Maggie's Orchard.

Wendy said...

Oh, how sad to have died so young. The artist whose work I like at Red Sea Gallery is Nellie Crawford: http://www.redseagallery.com/artist/nellie-crawford

Tiffany said...

Lovely paintings. I'm a big fan of the still life ...

materfamilias said...

What a charming sculpture! You'll be enjoying that long after you've forgotten the groceries you had to do without;-)
We had to make do with prints and posters for our first decade or two, but then started buying the odd original painting -- the first time we did, I remember feeling a bit anxious and defiant and guilty and exultant all at once, destabilized by spending a month's worth of groceries on it -- but I still love that painting and the money seems a wonderful investment in pleasure by this point.
I'm glad each painting required some sacrifice and budgeting -- I think I appreciate them more that way (altho' I suppose I wouldn't mind experimenting with having so much money that I could just pick them up easily!)

Tiffany said...

So true, mater. I chose a painting as my 40th birthday gift from Spouse, and at the time it seemed extravagant and perhaps a little silly, but it gives me pleasure every time I look at it, so it was definitely worth it. As you say, it would be fun to be able to buy as and when we feel like it, but perhaps we do have a little more appreciation when we have to scrimp to acquire something?