15 June 2010

Sixty Six


A lot of Kid 1's school friends are Jewish and they're all turning 13 over the next year. Today we got our first Bar Mitzvah invitation.

Kid 1 wishes to wear a yarmulke to the synagogue. He is also strangely excited about getting his first suit. I think he half wishes he could have a bar mitzvah also ...

I realise that the main criterion for Kid 2 and myself, being female, is modesty. So I won't be doing my Amy Winehouse interpretation. In fact, it might be an excellent excuse to buy a (modest) new dress and shoes.

4 comments:

Susan B said...

If it's an Orthodox service, you might also want a hat. ;-)

Susan B said...

Also, I couldn't find your e-mail but wanted to let you know that the yellow stitched Star of David you've pictured is often associated with the armbands that Jews were forced by the Nazis to wear during WWII. I know you didn't intend that association, but you might want to replace the image with a solid blue Star of David. You don't have to publish this comment, but just thought I should mention it. :-)

Tiffany said...

Thanks Pseu, very happy to replace the image - I certainly didn't want any such association (and of course I remember it now that you mention it).

I've decided I'm actually going to call the boy's mother just to make sure EXACTLY what we are expected to wear. I don't think they're particularly orthodox, but it's always hard to tell.

Make Do Style said...

Thank you so much for your comment. I feel that it is hard to challenge people as they think you are being the same as them and attacking. Truly I am mainly sighing and feel sad about it. It is draining and I don't type one word in anger. I also try to stay kind but it is hard when you wish to rebuke views.

Your blog title made me laugh and the strapline line xxx