17 June 2010

Men in Tights

Today I had a client meeting in the city. I went in a little earlier than I needed to, so that I could have a bit of a wander. As I was walking through the park, a man in his 40s with greying hair walked past me. Something about him registered as WRONG. I took another look. He was wearing leggings. No, not bicycle or running lycra. Leggings. With a conservative, dark blue business shirt (untucked, Thank The Lord). Carrying a leather satchel-style briefcase. But NO PANTS. I am one of the many who subscribe to the notion that leggings should never EVER replace trousers. I always thought this was a rule about women's clothing. Now I see that it must be expanded to include men.

I had to get over this experience by spending some time in our one posh(ish) department store, David Jones. It is full of fabulous women of a certain age - of all shapes, sizes and colouring - and I was not disappointed today. In fact, I was having such fun looking at them that I decided to try to distill what exactly made up their fabulousness. This is what I managed - no matter how beautiful/elegant/interesting the clothes, without these three elements, they didn't make the cut.

1. Intentional hair. It doesn't matter if it's a chic blonde/grey bob, a wiry mass of curls, a sharp razor cut in an unnatural colour or any other style - every woman who looked good clearly intended her hair to look the way it did. Note to self: sort the bloody hair.

2. Good shoes. Only a couple of the women were wearing serious heels, but there were plenty of chic flats, kitten heels, low boots, etc. One woman looked great from the ankles up, but had put on running shoes to navigate a day at the shops. They ruined the whole effect - and she could have worn something just as comfy that worked with her outfit (which was that sort of 'academic ethnic' that I don't aspire to but looks great on some women).

3. Demeanour. Every single one of the women I admired held her head high. But it was more than that - a certain je ne sais quoi. It made me feel (almost) glad to be getting older ...

Unfortunately, while following some of these women, I accidentally found myself in the MaxMara section. I tried on a beautiful camelhair jacket, spectacularly reduced (and badly photographed against the wardrobe doors - it is a much softer colour). Fortunately, it was one size too big, as I told the sales woman with some regret (relief?). She told me she'd see if there was one in my size. Unfortunately, there was.


Just as well the job I got briefed on is a lucrative one, don't you think?

When I grow up (in my next life) I will dress in MaxMara, Calvin Klein, Armani and occasionally some Dries Van Noten. I plan also to be about three inches taller. With better hair.

6 comments:

Susan B said...

Oh, that MaxMara jacket is TDF! MM makes the BEST jackets, I think. What a lovely, fortunate accident. Congratulations.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Pseu! I was really looking for a coat, but being rather little, I always feel rather swamped in anything long. This jacket is very lightweight but warm ...

Wendy said...

Seeing that jacket makes me wish (almost) that I lived in a climate where there are winters. It's stunning and you're right about not getting a long coat (apart from your red leather one): too petite and Sydney winters aren't that freezing anyway. Your jacket really is divine. Must see what DJs can do for me come November.

Tiffany said...

Yes, you should have a good look in DJs in November, Ma. Just avoid the dross and go upstairs to the higher end stuff - the fabrics and attention to detail are worth it.

materfamilias said...

Lovely! You deserve!
sputtering with laughter in London over the "Thank the Lord"-- I'm with you on the leggings.
great post!

Tiffany said...

Thanks mater! Good to see you're having fun in London (if walking a little more than planned ...).