08 June 2010

The Piano Teacher

Kid 1 hates learning music, although it's a big deal at his school. He has opted for percussion - drumkit and Latin - which suits his need to be constantly fiddling, jiggling and making repetitive noises that annoy me. He's not what you'd call musical, although his sense of rhythm is good. He can't sing.

Kid 2, on the other hand, LOVES music. When she was fresh home from hospital, all 2kg of her, she used to lie in her cot and shout at her musical mobile. At first I thought it upset her, then I realised that she was happy - so they were either noises of delight, or attempts to sing! She hasn't changed much since then, always singing, humming, listening to music, etc.

And finally, many years too late, I have organised proper piano lessons for her. She has an electronic keyboard, but I'm hoping get a little upright piano for the library ... We begin next Monday. Now, to the 'have you done your homework?' nagging, I can add 'time for your piano practice, young lady'.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm so delighted to hear about the music lessons! Pity Nana's not alive, she'd be thrilled and would even buy Phoebe a piano. I look forward to playing duets with her in November.

materfamilias said...

As a former piano teacher (for 20+ years preparing students for exams at all levels), I'm in favour of some gentle parental nagging (well, reminders, shall we say?) . . .although some kids are completely self-disciplined, they're the rare exception, and it's my experience as a teacher and a parent that kids often don't bump into activities that require so much effort for the delayed reward until they begin music lessons.
I'm really hoping my granddaughter's parents will have room in a few years for the piano I'd happily buy her (the grand I own was traded in by a grandmother who used the proceeds to fund four small uprights -- one for each family of grandchildren, a story that has always pleased and inspired me)

Tiffany said...

Mater, I love the story of the grand being traded in for an upright for each family of grandchildren! Yes, I think I will have to keep on at Young Miss about practising, but I also think once she learns to play a little, we probably won't be able to keep her away from it.
Ma, I'm not sure she'll be quite up to duets by November ...

Wendy said...

You'd be surprised what two Dragons can do when they get together. We;ll play you a duet on your return from the Big Apple.