01 June 2010

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

A couple of weeks ago I posted a few comments on a book I'd read and been disappointed by. Interestingly enough, VERY soon after I'd posted it, I received a comment that: a) misunderstood/misread what I'd written; b) told me I had read the book incorrectly; c) was from someone who claimed to 'usually like your reviews' although I don't actually make a habit of reviewing books; and d) had a name but no identity (ie was not a blogger).

I declined to publish the comment, but it did occur to me that there might be media monitoring at work - thus the prompt (and inaccurate) response to my mild criticism.

I had largely forgotten about it, then I read this article in The Guardian. Interestingly enough, the pseudo-philosopher's aversion to any criticism is mentioned more than once in the comments. And as for his attitude to food, well, I wouldn't be inviting him to dinner at my place any time soon ...

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Guess who's NOT coming to dinner at our house. A de B has caused me to loose every shred of esteem that I once held for him. What a thoroughly nasty individual. Thanks for the link. Re your comment on media monitoring, it makes one wonder.

Tiffany said...

Ma, you know, you've really got to learn to spell 'lose' ... Interesting article, though, wasn't it? I'd gone off him enough with the work book; that article was the proverbial nail in the coffin!

materfamilias said...

Never mind not wanting him to my house for dinner -- I wouldn't want to be at his for same either -- not only might the food be mediocre but I'd also be asked to make myself vulnerable, put on the spot, etc., -- I'm all for lively, provocative dinner conversation, but I prefer it to happen more organically rather than as a staged performance event.

Tiffany said...

So true, mater - from that account it sounds as though he would treat his guests as sport ... and not in a pleasant way.

Wendy said...

His approach to dinner guests makes me think of the little boys who hold a match to a trail of ants, or pull the legs off beetles.

Tiffany said...

I was thinking of the (apocryphal) stories of game hunters hunting human game ...