07 April 2008

Cars


I don't really care very much about cars. I would quite like a 1973 Mercedes 350 SL convertible, like the one pictured, but cream, with red or tan leather interior. I am also quite aware that I will probably never have this car and if I did I'd be the female equivalent of the fat balding middle-aged man driving a Ferrari.

The only time I suffer from deep car status anxiety is when dropping Holden off to school (so, a few times a week). Our poor, beaten up but brave little RAV4 looks very, very sad next to all the giant BMWs, Mercs, Porsches, Volvos and Jags. I'm trying to think of it as a reverse status symbol - 'we're so cool (NOT POOR) that we don't care what we drive'.

3 comments:

Wendy Hutton said...

I want that little red car for my birthday! Although my big red pick-up is much more "me". Three cheers for reverse status symbols.

I like the Library Thing segment on your blog. It's looking so utterly professional these days.

I bought the original (so they say) DVD of Atonement this morning. If you haven't already seen it at Christmas, you have a treat in store.

Tiffany said...

I read Atonement but I don't actually want to see the movie. Keira Knightly irritates me ...

Jules said...

Hurrah Tiff! I can finally post comments - watch out! I've already told you about my embarrassing memories of being driven to private school in a beaten up yellow volvo - so I want to alert you to something else:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/blog-until-you-drop/2008/04/12/1207856912786.html

So don't get fat!!! (As if you could anyway)