22 April 2008

Schindler's Ark

Yeah, for those of you who didn't know, there was a book before the movie (Schindler's List), and it was written by Thomas Kenneally, who also happened to be the guest speaker at Andrew's graduation ceremony this morning. Andrew is now a Master of Politics and Public Policy (which is probably a good thing since he is about to go and work for a Minister).


It was a rather nice graduation - I do love the pomp and ceremony of the gowns and mortar boards (and I want one of the squishy velvet caps the PhDs get to wear, they are so insanely 16th century). All the speakers were very good, and now I want to go back to uni and be hideously intellectual (but I won't).

As we strolled through the grounds of Macquarie Uni, I remarked that it was in 1989 that I began my BA there. So imagine my surprise when one of the graduands was the boyfriend with whom I started that particular degree. NINETEEN years later, he finally got his BA (Hons). Glad I didn't marry that one. I confess that as he walked by me in the recessional, I whispered loudly 'Took you long enough'. He did laugh. Ish.

PS. Yes, I know I could have called this post The Graduate. It just seemed a bit too easy.

No comments: