14 April 2008

Monty Python's Life of Brian

As part of Andrew's dedication to the catholic (note small 'c') education of our children, he regularly shows them movies that he believes are part of their cultural heritage. Thus on Friday night they watched Dead Poets Society, and on Saturday night they watched Life of Brian. Phoebe has been stomping around the house saying 'He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy'.

It was that sort of weekend. Lots of children, lots of DVDs and lots of food (I love a rainy Sunday). On Saturday night we rustled up a roast loin of pickled pork stuffed with prunes and pistachios, from Damien Pignolet's beautiful book French, accompanied by spuds sauteed in duck fat and a large and garlicky salad. Unfortunately I went serious trash for the dessert and made a banofee pie. I think I put on five kilos overnight.

So then yesterday we had to have yum cha at the Fish Markets for lunch. More food. Sigh.

The kids are now on school holidays, so I have been dashing between house and studio, trying to keep Miss Muppet amused at the same time as getting some work done. She made and iced biscuits this morning.


Oh, I knew I did something else fun on the weekend - on Sunday morning my buddy Phil and I went shopping. He got the smoke-coloured Philippe Starck Louis Ghost chair pictured, and I got a serious case of 'Wow, if I was rich, I'd buy this, this, this and this'.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I guess there really are some cultural differences between Sydney and San Francisco, since I haven't a clue what a Banofee pie is (I know, that's poor grammar, but I'm feeling a little reckless today).

Sounds like you're enjoying autumn--always my favorite time of year.

Talk to you soon.

Tiffany said...

A Banofee pie is a disgusting concoction with a biscuit (graham cracker?) crust, a caramel filling made from sweetened condensed milk, topped with sliced banana and whipped cream.

Unknown said...

awesuuuum! (Nathan's favorite superlative of late)

Wendy Hutton said...

Is it really that long ago that you and Jamie watched Life of Brian in Singapore and we all kept repeating that unforgettable phrase " He's not the Messiah, he's a very naught boy"? Re Damien's recipe, did you buy the pork already pickled, or do the whole thing at home? Recipe, please please.(PS I'll pass on the pie.)

Wendy Hutton said...

oops, we said "naughty" with a "y". I must check my spelling before posting comments!

Tiffany said...

Pre-pickled pork, but I don't think it's hard to pickle it, just like doing corned beef. Will send the recipe via email ...