03 April 2008

The Postman Always Rings Twice


I do like email, but I miss letters. I was a prolific letter-writer in my teens (work avoidance training starts young). I remember waiting for the sound of the postman, on his little scooter, driving the dog insane; hoping for a letter from the UK, Canada, Australia, anywhere really. And quite often there was one, given that I had about 15 friends overseas who I wrote to regularly. I used to write a lot of aerogrammes (remember them?) because they were cheaper to post, so I had to make my writing as small as possible. There's an endless amount to say about things when you're a teenager.

Now it's just emails, so instead of pages and pages, you get a few lines. More often, admittedly, but still not as satisfying.

But there is an upside. Shopping online means that you can have the delicious wait for a parcel or large padded envelope, never quite knowing when it might turn up. It's all about anticipation. Right now I'm waiting for, in no particular order, a book, two magazines and a pair of shoes. In amongst the bills, offers of more credit cards, and requests for money, that is.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still have all your letters tucked away in a suitcase that is filled with photos and letters from various people. I amuse myself sometimes by reading them. If you ever write your autobiography, they might come in handy.

Tiffany said...

Oh my GOD, you don't seriously have them?! Burn burn burn. I destroyed all my diaries, all the way from 14-28 ... it was a strangely liberating experience.

kat said...

Oh yes, I was so sad when the 'best friend' status was denied. I had truly thought that I would be your bestest friend forever, until I received the offending mail WITHOUT best friend attached. Thank goodness SLTIZWEITZ was not abandonned. I would have gone mental! Loves, Kathryn