17 April 2008

The Towering Inferno

Or other reasons to take the fire stairs.

Most lifts are equipped with mirrors; I assume this is to stop claustrophobic people-haters like myself from freaking out when they’re trapped in a tiny, nasty moving box with other people.

I always thought the rules were: 1. If you are alone in the lift, you may check your appearance – you may even reapply lipstick or admire yourself lovingly if you feel compelled to do so. 2. If you are not alone in the lift, you can take a surreptitious look as you get in to make sure you don’t have black ink on your nose, and from then on you stare fixedly forward at the doors.

Recently, however, I have had the unsettling experience of sharing lifts with individuals who have stepped in, ignored fellow traveller (correct lift etiquette, I prefer to be ignored in a lift) and then spent the whole ride gazing at themselves from a distance of two inches, playing with coiffure and (I am NOT joking) removing stray nasal hair.

4 comments:

Wendy Hutton said...

Was your fellow traveller Asian by any chance?

Jules said...

That's disgusting. Gosh we work with some grots. I prefer people to be silent in the lifts too although it's disconcerting when you KNOW them and or have dated them and they remain silent! As for the checking of appearances - yes only do it subtly. Although as someone with two mirrors on her desk, maybe I shouldn't comment here.

Wendy Hutton said...

I just noticed your reading list. Have you finished The Yiddish Policeman's Union? I got about half way then figured life was too short. And Chesil Beach disappointed; the protagonists were so infuriating I really couldn't be interested in their self-imposed problems. How is The Clothes on Their Backs, something on my wish list for the bookshops in Singapore next month?

Tiffany said...

Jules, I think YOU are allowed to check your appearance, since looking good is part of your job!