23 September 2009

Apocalypse Now


This is what my street looked like at six o'clock this morning. Not the aftermath of a nuclear explosion, but a dust storm blown across the state by gale force winds. Even more extraordinary than the orange sky was the blue sun - no photo, unfortunately.

Walking around it's like wearing an orange filter, so the blue in everything is highlighted - trees and grass are an eery blue-green and Phoebe's eyes are bluer than normal. There is a layer of orange dust on absolutely everything, including the rabbits! Plans to hang washing on the line have been derailed.

Back to the normal world, I promised to report on my success or otherwise yesterday:


1. The Tardis got finished. It is wonky and weird, but we built it from scavenged stuff and masking tape, so it has an excuse.


2. The baby was happy. So happy it didn't even notice its mother was absent for three hours. Is it bizarre that my youngest is not quite 9 and I'm already looking forward to grandchildren?

3. The profiteroles were horrid. They looked pretty enough, but I'm not sure they were edible (I was so full by then I didn't even try; my mother left one on her plate, which was a loud and clear THESE ARE DISGUSTING message). Normally a kitchen failure would drive me to despair, but hey, life's too short.


4. Dinner was lovely (apart from the profiteroles). I had duck and pistachio terrine, pork fillet with lentils and the cheese platter. I thought I might explode. The almost birthday girl had steak and frites (and ice cream). And escargots, of course. This is the child who doesn't eat egg, mashed potato or tuna ...

5. The floors are progressing, but I didn't get a photo. Other people's houses-in-progress are dull in the extreme, I imagine.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

That girl really knows how to do happiness, doesn't she?! What a wonderful glow she has!

Tiffany said...

It's true, she really radiates it. Andrew and I often wonder where it comes from ... the other one is as moody as can be!