07 September 2009

The House of Sand and Fog


Lordy, that was a sad movie. Then I read the book (I normally do it the other way around) and it was more than sad. It was bleak beyond belief.

So, a cheery introduction, no? I'm feeling a bit like that today. This morning I went (in the drizzle) for a final pre-settlement inspection of the half house we've just bought. It seems to have got even smaller than last time I looked at it ...

I have been dying to get the keys and get started on fixing it up, but my enthusiasm seems to have waned. I hate shopping because there are too many options, and I get overwhelmed - it seems to be the same with this renovating lark. Just as I think 'yes, I'll do it like that' some helpful person says 'oh, but have you thought about THIS?'.

Looking on the upside, there is a strange room that we have decided to call, rather pretentiously, the 'library'. In the short term we'll just pile all our bookcases in there - nine at last count; longer term we'll build them in right up to the ceiling and have one of those cool library ladders. The library also has a working fireplace and french doors onto the internal courtyard, so it's potentially a fabulous place to curl up with a book or some knitting ... there will be NO television in there.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

Such a sad movie! It's a few years since I've seen it, but I especially remember how logically, inevitably, inexorably, the sadness multiplied throughout. . .
But if you have a really truly library-y ladder in your future, you can't be sad for long, you know? They're on everyone's "I've always wanted a . . . " list, aren't they?!
Seriously, good luck with the plans and the moving and the reno -- sounds like sooooo much work.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Mater! Of course you're right - the thought of a library ladder (one day ...) will drag me through the rest of it! Right now I'm oscillating between excitement and gloom, but I think once I actually have the keys and work begins, I will be fine.