15 October 2009

Julie and Julia


Through a happy coincidence, rather than clever planning on my part, both the kids were elsewhere last night, so Andrew and I decided to make the most of it and see a movie. I think Andrew suggested Julie & Julia because he thought I'd enjoy it.

He was right. It was fun, and Meryl Streep was obviously having a ball with her role. I have no idea what the real Julie Powell is like, but the screen Julie was a little wet - there were several times when I just wanted to slap her ... Also, it could just be me, but I simply could not live with someone who eats like her husband, no matter how handsome and saintly he might be.

The food? Well, I was really hanging out to see a real duck-boning - something Julie leaves till last because it's so challenging - but of course we didn't. Boeuf bourguignon? It's something I love to cook, but not necessarily to look at. I did swoon over the accoutrements, the dozens of copper pans and Le Creuset casseroles, even the sink in the Paris appartment.

When Harry Met Sally, also by Nora Ephron, is my favourite rom-com of all time. But did she really need to have Julie utter the same line's as Carrie Fisher's character - 'You're right, you're right, I know you're right'. I thought that was lazy. Or maybe it was just referential ...

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie (who would miss Meryl Streep in anything!) but it's refreshing to hear a review that takes a bit of critical distance.
I remember really liking that stage when my kids would be out and about with friends or activities and we would surprisingly be on our own -- before the age when you start worrying about what they're doing on their own, and past the age when you always have to be with them.

Tiffany said...

Yes, it is somewhat of a 'window', isn't it, mater? I imagine that it will only be a couple more years before we're wondering what they're doing ... Right now they're independent but un-alarming!