19 October 2009

Stormy Monday

Today was one of those days. Not the weather, actually, but the general, um, vibe.

I was happy enough to be working in the city, but Little Miss was NOT happy about going to before school care, and the Almost-Teen has been having an extended meltdown about homework for the last hour and a half (and it's still going).

I did go window shopping for a bit at lunchtime. It was dire. I didn't even see any shoes I liked. I resorted to the makeup counters, figuring I can always find a lipstick in times of retail desperation. Even they failed me - apparently I have hit the age of invisibility with such a vengeance that even the overly made-up 12-year-olds behind the counters couldn't be bothered to try to sell me anything ...

Then I had the joyous task of chasing up overdue invoice payments. 'But', said one client, 'It's only a few days late.' I wanted to ask him if: a) he'd be thrilled if his pay was 'only a few days late' (with no payment in sight); and b) whether I could just submit work when it suits me and say 'well, it's only a few days past deadline'. Of course I didn't. But I kind of wish I had.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

Oh dear, hope the rest of the week goes better . . . it's a bad sign when even the makeup counter can't deliver a satisfying lipstick, the simplest form of retail therapy!

Wendy said...

Materfamilias is right. I bought a total of 5 new lipsticks to help me out of my recent depression. Even better as therapy was the gorgeous bag you gave me,Tiff, and pointing me in the direction of a new pair of jeans.