25 October 2009

Saturday Night Fever (2)


Okay, so I'm continuing from last Saturday night where the new recipe was less than thrilling. Last night [it was Sunday when I wrote this post; it just took me ages to post it] I decided to try a recipe I cut out of a magazine 10 years ago - blue-eye cod with chilli-tomato compote and saffron butter sauce

This really was a restaurant style recipe - at one point I had four pans on the stove at the same time, just for the one dish. The saffron sauce was a classic French reduction, easy and delicious (and loaded with so much butter and cream my arteries will be groaning for a month). The chilli-ginger 'jam' part of the 'compote' was a mix of Asian that I was worried wasn't going to work, but was completely superb. It was served on a bed of julienned zucchini (courgette) lightly cooked in butter, with the oven roasted tomatoes on top of the fish, then the chilli-ginger, and the butter sauce poured around.

It was divine. I think my brother was glad he'd chosen last night to drop by. Maybe it will keep me going for a week's worth of rushed post-work dinners!

1 comment:

materfamilias said...

That dinner looks gorgeous and sounds as if it tasted scumptious. It's been too, too long since I set myself any kind of cooking challenge -- I have a long, long list of things I want to do next lifetime!