18 October 2009

Saturday Night Fever

Most Saturday nights we're at home. We have friends who go out at least once a week, and spend a not-very-small fortune on babysitters, but we generally stay home with the kids and attempt to create our own fun.

Andrew likes to do this by forcing the kids to watch movies he considers to be 'classics'. (I think his interpretation of 'classic' is a little loose at times.)

For me, it usually takes the form of cooking something that's either: a) time-consuming and therefore a treat only for weekends; b) new, so untested and therefore potentially exciting; or c) slightly extravagant (think duck, truffle oil, etc).

Last night I made a barbecued seafood salad with prawns and baby octopus, potatoes and zucchini, served with a salsa romanesca. For dessert I made a strawberry shortcake.

To be honest, the salad was slightly disappointing. I'm not sure why - maybe a bit bland, not enough textural interest. But the salsa was delicious and I'll definitely make that again. I thought the kids would love the strawberry shortcake, but they were a little underwhelmed by it. So not the most successful of Saturday cook-fests ... Perhaps I'll do better next week.

School resumes tomorrow, and I'm in the city for a client, so the relaxed morning pace of the last couple of weeks will soon be a pleasant memory.

No comments: