13 October 2009

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Yesterday the awesome Imogen came over to 'do my colours' and give me some wardrobe inspiration. The colour stuff was great - it was nice to know that most of my (very few) clothes are in colours that suit me. I got rid of very little, and one thing I would have been upset to part with turned out to be silk (I hadn't ever checked the label), so I can dye it.

It's also tremendously fun to have a little shade card to play with, especially looking at colours I wouldn't ever have thought of wearing. And I finally understand why I cannot part with my orange jacket ...

The wardrobe bit was slightly sadder. I have no clothes. As Imogen said, no wonder I'm bored with my clothes - I don't have any options. She wrote me a HUGE list of things I need. I now have a licence to shop; just need to find the time and the cash, of course!

One of the most helpful things Imogen did was look at my existing clothes and work out what defines my choices - what I like in terms of fabric, pattern, texture, etc. Armed with all this information, I can gradually build a wardrobe that will look good and make me happy.

I made a solemn vow to buy NO MORE JEANS. I may have also promised to buy at least one skirt and one day dress. Feel the fear and do it anyway, right?

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

What a great position you're on, once you loosen up a bit of cash to buy from your new list. Often when women are ready to transform their wardrobe, there are many garments to get rid of (and feel a bit guilty about, really!), but instead you have a clearly demonstrated need and a list that shows you how to meet that need in the way that suits you and your lifestyle best. It's going to be fun to watch you build towards that, bit by bit.

Tiffany said...

So true, mater! Often the difficulty for me is finding the time to shop, but conveniently enough a client has asked me to work in the city next week, so I shall take some time at lunch to wander around the shops. I think I will post each thing I buy as a project ...