18 November 2009

The Birthday Girl

Yesterday was my birthday. I know it's childish, but no matter how old I get, I can't help secretly hoping that it will be special and exciting. You can imagine how many disappointing birthdays I've had. This was another.

Phoebe, bless her, put on a special puppet show for me. Holden was too 'busy' (yes, he's 12) on the weekend to get me a present, although he did have an attack of the guilts the night before and made me a card.

I got a text message from one of my best friends at 6.45am - I saw her name on the screen and thought 'Yay, someone has remembered me!'. It was about something else. She didn't remember my birthday.

If it weren't for the birthday reminder function on Facebook, I could have gone the whole day without a single birthday greeting apart from family ... Thank god there is only one birthday a year.

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

Happy Birthday! And I'm going to give you a little gift, the benefit of my experience. You need to tell your family clearly that they need to spoil you on your birthday and then tell them how to do it -- I've tried the self-pity, noble martyr routine and I've tried the "leave the gift wish list stuck on the fridge" routine, and the latter makes everyone happier, really! Next year, don't be coy -- order your own birthday cake, if necessary, and then act surprised and thank them for it! They'll catch on eventually.
Meanwhile, I promise, if I'm ever down your way in November, birthday cake and a glass of your favourite wine's on me!

Tiffany said...

Thanks mater! Sage advice indeed. I think my family is so used to me organising everything that it doesn't even occur to them that sometimes they might have to do something. Next year I'll book a table at our local bistro and buy the champagne myself!

Wendy said...

Thank god, as you said, for family in times like this. I do hope my card arrived in time, and that you were a tiny bit pleased to receive my phone call — even though it didn't sound like it. Have a great time in Tassie. What's that old saying, "a change is as good as a rest". Let's hope so.