02 November 2009

Three Colours: Red

(image from wikipedia)

I've been seeing red about one of my clients for a few weeks now. The person is in a temporary role in a company I've worked for (happily, I should add) for years. She doesn't understand the business and she doesn't know how to brief a writer. Apparently I am supposed to write without a brief, to a ludicrous deadline - and probably thank her for her business, into the bargain.

It was bound to come to sticky end. Maybe I was already in a less-than-sanguine mood (having put in an 11-hour work day on Sunday); maybe I just don't need to be patronised by fools. I did something I've done only once before - I sacked her as a client.

Sometimes you just have to weigh up the financial cost against the mental health cost, I guess. Worst case, I may not get work from that part of the business again until after she leaves at Christmas. Can I survive that? Sure.

Now I'm going to go for a run, just to get the last of the red out of my system.

5 comments:

Susan B said...

Sounds like a smart move from the standpoint of mental health anyway. Sounds like a smart move all around, actually.

materfamilias said...

I second what Pseu says. And with any luck, the client might learn from the experience, so you'll have done a favour for the next writer she contracts with!

Tiffany said...

Pseu and Mater, I appreciate the moral support! As a postscript, the client's boss rang me and said 'what can we do to keep you on the job?'. We'll see what pans out, but my main condition was not dealing with that woman ...

Christina Lee said...

Well good for you-sometimes we have to clear out of our lives that which brings us down!!

Wendy said...

Bravo. One should not be obliged to suffer fools for an indefinite period. Even the client's boss seems to agree.