11 November 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

I started that book and somehow couldn't be bothered. I'm not sure why. So I probably won't see the movie, even if it does feature the charming Rachel McAdams.

I don't often think of myself as 'wife', but this is one instance where I'm claiming spousal rights - Andrew has decided to run the NY Marathon next year (he just realised the other day that he meets the qualifying time for his age). And naturally I will have to go with him. I have never been to New York, and I was beginning to think I'd NEVER get there.

So I have 12 months to plot and scheme and work out where I'm going to stay/visit/eat/shop/walk/peruse ... The children are not impressed as we have to sacrifice a planned skiing holiday in July to manage the NY trip. Without them. They will hate us for a while, but maybe they'll get over it. We're promising to take them to Europe for a couple of months, probably in 2011 or 2012.

It may be a year away, but it's still something to look forward to ...

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

So exciting! And I don't blame you for getting all excited a year ahead -- for me, anticipation is a huge part of a trip, and I like to savour it.
I've only been to New York once, and that's now almost 20 years ago -- I'd love to go back. Lucky you!

Wendy said...

JF and I saw The Time Traveller's Wife at the cinema last week. The lead actor & actress were so good that you didn't worry about being confused. It's vaguely like the book too.

Wendy said...

Hey, Meng has just come back from her first trip to the States, where she spent most of her time in NY. She's been raving about how vibrant it is and so forth. I'm going to walk down the hill to her wine shop (about 10 minutes on the cement steps through the forest) on Monday for a coffee and a chat. I'm so glad you and Andrew are doing this trip.