17 November 2009

The Nanny Diaries

On Sunday, I am flying down to Tasmania to stay for a week with friends who have just had a new baby (they also have a two-year-old) - my job while there is to cook, do laundry, provide company and baby-wrangle.

So it's not exactly a holiday, but it will be a nice break from the voracious two-headed monster of work and house renovation. They live in a beautiful spot, and I plan to make the most of this view. (Perhaps I can multi-task and look at the view while washing dishes/calming baby?)


I will have to pay penance to my own family ('what do you mean you're going off to look after OTHER people?'). This will start before I go - I will fill the freezer with meals, write detailed instructions, organise school drop-offs and pickups with neighbours and family, etc. And while I am away, I will have to devote at least a few hours to finding extra-special presents for them all.

7 comments:

Susan B said...

Wow, you're a good friend! Enjoy, and hope you have some down time too.

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
materfamilias said...

This is so good of you! I'm sure they will really appreciate that extra pair of hands. And your family will appreciate you that much more when you return!

Tiffany said...

I'm making myself sound like a martyr, aren't I? I should admit that I LOVE babies - and this couple have particularly beautiful ones! Plus I utterly adore where they live.

Pseu, I think once the little ones have gone down for the night, there may be just time for a glass of wine on the verandah ... And mater, I can only hope that my family will appreciate me when I get back, but I have my doubts!

Christina Lee said...

how kind of you to do that- I would have loved to have a friend do that for me!

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Have a great time - I'm sure the new mother will really appreciate your friendship and support!

sallymandy said...

A gorgeous place to go! I hope your time away is rejuvenating. It's always refreshing to go somewhere different.