03 November 2009

My Fair Lady


I remember watching My Fair Lady (featuring the inimitable Audrey) as a child, and my parents' snorts of amusement at Eliza shrieking 'move your bloomin' arse' at the races - they were amused, no doubt, by the thought that anyone would believe that a Cockney ragamuffin would utter anything so polite.

Unfortunately, that was the last time I found horse racing even slightly interesting. I have many vices (wine, anyone?), and I love riding, but gambling and dressing like a hussy and/or idiot don't rate for me, and they are the traditional ways to enjoy the races in this country. So I'm always rather flummoxed by Melbourne Cup Day. Melbourne has the public holiday, but Sydney more or less shuts down at lunchtime also.

That, combined with a languid (ha) THIRTY SEVEN degrees, made it a very slow town today. It was so damn hot I had to eschew my normal jeans and fish a skirt out of my wardrobe. So I felt like a sausage - skirts always highlight my, um, 'boyish' figure a.k.a. lack of waist - but at least I was a slightly more comfortable sausage than I would have been in jeans.

I have been perusing my favourite Northern Hemisphere blogs with even more envy than usual as people pack away their summer wardrobes and pull out their woollens ...

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

You'll no doubt feel envious, then, when I tell you that the tire shop (I had to go there to get a flat tire repaired) was overwhelmed today with drivers panicking about getting their winter tires on, 'cause there were rumours of snow coming -- all just nasty rumours I'm confident, but still . . .
I don't envy you 37 degrees -- that's too warm for me -- but I could do with a few days' reminder of what summer was like!

sallymandy said...

I'm so enjoying getting back to my blog friends' posts this week, and especially from those of you Down Under. As we approach winter here where I live, it's so refreshing and rewarding to read about your spring.

When I was a girl it seemed so exotic to think of opposite seasons in the hemispheres, and now I get to read about it as it happens.

Thank you...

Tiffany said...

I am indeed envious, mater.

Sallymandy, it's funny how other people's weather/climate is fascinating. I grew up mostly in Singapore where the seasons are simply wet or wetter, so even now the changes of a mild temperate climate thrills me! Glad to see you around again - hope all is well.