25 May 2010

The Cotton Club


I bought a really dull skirt on the weekend (Marc Jacobs, cream cord, from the Outnet, of course, I hate actual shops). But you know what? Dull has its place. It will go with everything. I can wear it in summer, a season that always causes me terrible sartorial confusion (I don't wear shorts unless gardening, don't like denim skirts, struggle with summer type dresses although possibly improving on that front ...). I can wear it with flat shoes or heels. I can wear it with a silk blouse or a t-shirt. Whether I can keep it clean is another question, of course.

Enough of the boring. I have been thinking about how if I have a trend shoved in my face for long enough, I can go from 'eww, not ever never' to 'hmm, maybe'. Not everything works that way. I will not, ever never, do double denim, for instance. I will not wear harem pants. I will not wear shoes that make me wobble and fall over. But I am hankering after a jumpsuit (left from ASOS, via Make Do Style; right J Crew from net-a-porter):



The question, of course, is where on earth I'd wear it. To sit in while working at my desk in the garage? To do the grocery shopping or hang out the laundry? I've said it before - perhaps it's my life rather than my wardrobe that needs revision.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

I don't think "dull" and "practical" are synonymous at all, and I'd say that skirt proves it.
And I have to admit I loved jumpsuits the first time around -- I was in the middle of child-rearing and I found them flattering (the long line on a short, short-waisted person worked well) and practical -- okay, yes, the whole toileting problem, but really not that bad depending how seriously one is belted in -- and, like a dress but not requiring tights, they have that "instantly-dressed" thing going for them.
That said, I'll probably sit out this iteration . . .

Tiffany said...

I didn't get to enjoy them first time round, being a bit too young, so maybe that's why I like the jumpsuit now. As you say, there's a dressiness to them that's quite appealing. I may just give it a try ...