09 May 2010

Saturday Night Fever

Last night was my MIL's birthday party. There were about 30 adults and 7 children (who made more noise than all the adults combined, of course), all of whom had a lovely time, as far as I could tell. I did spend the first hour or so of the party in the kitchen, but it was very simple stuff and I'd done most of the prep well in advance, so it wasn't at all onerous.

The menu was:

Gougeres (yes, I love these, especially because you can make them in advance, freeze and then pop straight in the oven)
Pork & veal meatballs
Chicken meatballs
A variety of tartlets - smoked trout & creme fraiche; herbed ricotta; slow roasted cherry tomatoes
Water chestnuts wrapped in bacon and grilled (a surprise hit)
Cucumbers stuffed with crab and pickled ginger with a dipping sauce

My SIL made a chocolate cake with ganache and I also made lemon curd tartlets and marzipan fruit (at MIL's request).

Phoebe served food wearing a smocked apron and an angelic expression; Holden mostly allowed himself to be tortured by all the tiny cousins (he's almost 13; they're all 5 and under and think he's a toy). This is him doing a Zoolander expression ('Magnum', I believe).




Today is Mother's Day so I am refusing to cook dinner (coq au riesling) but I suspect I may end up giving a hand ...

4 comments:

materfamilias said...

Your kids are gorgeous/handsome! And I may have said it before, but I want you to adopt me . . . all that fabulous food your family gets to enjoy. Hope they don't take it for granted!
Have a lovely Mother's Day!

Tiffany said...

Thanks mater! I think my kids occasionally find my food obsession a little wearing but I assure them that one day they'll look back fondly on it. Yesterday (Mother's Day) we made jam doughnuts, which was fun. Any time you come to Sydney, you'll be adopted for sure!

Wendy said...

what amazing grandchildren I have!!! Can't wait to get my hands on them come the NY Marathon gig. Hope they can adjust to my cuisine. I have fantasies of doing great things with Holden. By the way, do you "look fondly back" on your culinary childhood? Fancy the old favourite water chestnuts wrapped in bacon being a hit; some old classics deserve to be just that.

Tiffany said...

Yes, I do look back fondly - for the most part - on my culinary childhood. Perhaps you might consider adjusting your cuisine slightly to the kids?