13 May 2010

Quills

I recently finished reading Alain de Botton's most recent book, The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work. I've read most of his other books, and enjoyed them a great deal. He has an elegant turn of phrase, and a beautiful and often amusing way of explaining concepts.

This book, however, I almost didn't finish. It's difficult for me to articulate just what made me dislike it so much, but I'll try. His ostensible purpose is to explore some of the jobs that people do, although it's not clear to me what it is he is trying to illuminate. He tags along to trade shows, follows accountants and walks a course of electricity pylons, amongst other things. There are oddly composed black & white photos, as there are in many of his books.

But most of all, he has a dig at almost everyone he describes, although he is much kinder to the artist than to anyone else. Certainly, I can see that most occupations, when taken right down to the day-to-day, are almost indescribably tedious. I expected he might take this as a starting point for exploring the pathos of the human condition - maybe he even thinks this is what he is doing - but instead it just comes across as downright nasty.

So a description of one couple (who let him into their lives): 'The couple were admirably fond of some of the less popular vegetables in the English repertoire, for at most times of the day - even in the early morning - the place smelt powerfully of freshly boiled cabbage or swede'. Notice the use of 'admirably' - sounds like he's going to say something nice about them, when in fact he's just saying their premises stink.

It's the first time reading A de B where I have thought 'You know what? Just because you have a massive inheritance and can choose to make a living (or not) doing what you love or whatever entertains you, does not entitle you to belittle people who may not love what they do, and may not do anything inspiring, but are probably supporting a family and doing their best'. It made me quite angry.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

De Botton has long been on my should-read list, but never attached to any urgency. And this sounds like a definite miss, the kind of snobbery I find tiresome.
So we may have done each other a big reading favour -- I may have saved you from Gourmet rhapsody and you've definitely saved me from Pleasures and Sorrows

Tiffany said...

Yes, it's the snobbery that I find offensive, particularly coming from someone who has never had to work - a dilettante, in fact, albeit a highly educated, clever and productive one. Some of his earlier books are definitely worth a read; philosophy 'lite' but charming, amusing and interesting. I may still read the Barbery book, but I'll wait till I'm in the right mood!