03 May 2010

Saturday Night Fever

Me, the world's slackest blogger ...

Regular Saturday night programming was interrupted by the fact that Spouse went away for the night with friends, leaving me with the offspring, who weren't interested in me cooking anything 'different'. I did their favourite Portuguese chicken burgers, then my brother rang to say he was 'around' and could he drop by.

So I whipped up a quick ratatouille of sorts, heated some crusty bread and hauled some sausages out of the freezer. Not a glamorous meal, but hearty enough. And then we all watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on telly. Can I just mention that I love Johnny Depp - he is so fantastically fey and creepy, but still endearing, as Willy Wonka.

(Picture from yogajournal.com)

In other, even less interesting news, I finally kicked up into this pose. I've been able to do the pose for ages, but my particular aversion to being upside down includes HATING kicking up into a pose. But I did it ... Next step, world domination, obviously.

5 comments:

Susan B said...

Wow, that's impressive! How long have you been practicing yoga? And "just whipping up" a ratatouille??? You must have some serious culinary skills!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Pseu, but truly, neither the pose nor the cooking require much skill! I've been practising yoga seriously for about three years now, but I've dabbled in it for about 20 years ... NOTHING is as impressive as mater's half marathon!

materfamilias said...

Are you kidding me? For running, I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Obviously, I've built up some strength and some stamina, but no contortions are needed, or balance beyond that which works with, not against, gravity. You must have some serious upper body strength! I'm so impressed!

Tiffany said...

Isn't it interesting, mater, how we perceive others' skills/achievements as somehow more impressive than our own - the idea of being able to just put one foot in front of another for 21km amazes me, but it never occurred to me that my upper body is strong. I have, however, developed quite serious 'yoga arms'! Nothing on the mental space I get from yoga, though ...

materfamilias said...

In my experience, Tiffany, this is an especially female trait -- to see others'accomplisments as impressive while discounting our own. Something perhaps about the way we're acculturated to modesty, or something, so that we don't dare think of ourselves as worth celebrating.