23 February 2011

The Constant Gardener

Monday, hot on the heels of Love Day, was our wedding anniversary. I had a photobook of our NY snaps and blogs made up for spouse; spouse gave me a rather nice handbag (dangerous territory well navigated).

Monday is not a great night for going out as all the good restaurants are closed. So - surprise, surprise - I cooked. Unfortunately it was also a deadline day, so I had to hurriedly make creme brulee and confit some duck in my lunch break. Seriously. I'm all for Slow Food, but usually my life won't slow down for me. Especially on a Monday. So I did Fast Slow French Food.

This was the menu (and here was me all surprised that I'd put on weight!):

Steak tartare with melba toast and all the accoutrements

Confit duck with roast potatoes and green salad

Creme brulee

All very slimming. Truly.


But back to the title of this post. When I was a child, I assumed it meant someone who was always gardening. Now I love the idea of constance, an old-fashioned virtue (like prudence). It's a little like commitment, but perhaps more patient and less ambitious ... And definitely something one needs in marriage.

8 comments:

Susan B said...

What a lovely wedding photo!

OMG, you do more cooking (and fancier!) on a lunch hour than I do all week!!

Happy Anniversary!!

Tiffany said...

Thanks Pseu - it was a pretty nice wedding (summer clifftop, 1920s restaurant on the beach for reception with jazz band and cocktail food ...).

I don't NORMALLY do that kind of cooking in a lunch hour, thank goodness. I'd be a) exhausted and b) enormous!

Rubi said...

Happy Anniversary!

I agree with you about constancy -- it's not an easy quality to develop, but oh, so important. In that department, I'm still a work in progress, but further progressed, which is good.

Tiffany said...

Thanks Rubi. And yes, always a work in progress ...

materfamilias said...

Oh, the two of you are gorgeous together! that's a wonderful photograph, obviously a v. happy day.
Also impressed by your menu and your lunch hour cooking.
But mainly, I am taking to heart this nuanced distinction between commitment and constancy -- the former can be good, obv. but has a militancy that suggests will and fortitude and discipline, whereas the latter is gentler, steadier. I'm going to chat about this with my guy -- thanks for the food for thought, not just the lovely menu but the well-parsed words . . . and Happy belated Anniversary!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, mater. I'm glad you liked the rather fine distinction I made there, and I totally agree about the idea of discipline within commitment, and the gentler nature of constance. Words are so marvellous, aren't they?

materfamilias said...

they truly are. . . we've been having such fun with Nola-the-parrot and words . . . the latest is teaching her to exclaim "Such foolishness"! (which might be aimed right back at the tutors)

Tiffany said...

'Such foolishness'! How I'd love to hear that come out of the mouth of a toddler!

One of my favourites from the days when Kid 2 was just two was when she came up to me and said, very solemnly, 'Mummy, I hurt my Elvis' (elbow, of course).