15 February 2011

True Romance

Yesterday was Valentine's Day, but as our wedding anniversary is exactly one week later, we don't tend to acknowledge it. Plus it was a Monday, hardly the most romantic day of the week ...

It was one of those days where I struggled through my jobs, wondering if there's a parallel universe in which I could find something interesting to do for a living. In fact, by lunchtime I had descended into downright grumpiness, which was not assuaged by more jobs coming in, and a growing list of domestic chores (why do children have teeth? why do dogs need to be clipped? how does Spouse wear 20 outfits per week, all of which need washing after just one outing?).


Once I'd got through my deadlines (and my chores), I decided the solution was to get into the kitchen. The other option was retail therapy, but we're having a frugal month as well as a dry(ish) one. My kitchen (pictured, somewhat skewiff) is the size of a not-very-capacious broom cupboard, so whipping up a storm can be a challenge. But I did manage pork fillet in cream mustard sauce with potatoes roasted in goose fat, fresh steamed asparagus and a heart-shaped red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and strawberries. (Yes, of course I have a heart-shaped cake tin lying around - doesn't everyone?)

And I decided that Valentine's Day is a ticket of leave for FebFast and stuck a bottle of champagne in the fridge as well. Much better.

6 comments:

Susan B said...

There's little that can't be cured by a bottle of champagne in the fridge...

Cute kitchen, BTW!

Tiffany said...

You're so right, Pseu - champagne is a perfect cure-all. Thanks for the kitchen compliment - when we bought the house it was only half finished so I could choose everything for the kitchen, but sadly couldn't extend the space (that's a plan for about two years' time).

materfamilias said...

Although obviously small, that kitchen looks really efficient, and charming as well. I'd say our most efficient kitchen ever was a galley kitchen -- while it didn't have room for easy socializing while the cook worked, it made life so much easier every single day. I'd guess it saved me miles and miles of steps over the years!
Glad you rallied, mood-wise, and I'm thinking your family is lucky that whipping them up such a delish meal is your way to feel better!!

Tiffany said...

My kitchen is blushing from the compliments! And I'd never thought of it that way, mater, but not being able to have people underfoot probably does make things more efficient. I often imagine that by the time I get the kitchen I dream of, the kids will have left home and it will be way too big!

Rubi said...

Why would one ever ban champagne? It's a health drink, after all. ;-)

Tiffany said...

Totally agree, Rubi - AND it tastes better than cod liver oil ...