16 February 2011

Three Colours: Red

Some time ago, I mentioned a local designer whose clothes I really like. Unfortunately, the only stand-alone shop was in Melbourne and my planned shopping trip never eventuated. So imagine my delight when I discovered that they had a new store in Sydney. Yesterday morning, feeling oddly melancholic and sick of sitting my cave writing, I ventured out.


The shop is in Paddington, where I lived when I first moved to Sydney, many years ago. In those days, you could afford to rent a (not terribly nice, it's true) share house in Paddo as a student; these days, it's all boutiques, art galleries and multi-million dollar abodes. Plus great shopping and a disproportionate number of long-legged models in incredible outfits - Sartorialist heaven. (Regular person hell.)

I tried on almost the whole winter collection, but I was very restrained. I loved this red skirt, but it was about an inch longer than I like (the model is about 6ft), and the hem detail would have made it complicated to adjust, so I passed. I did get a lovely 3/4 sleeve rust coloured silk/linen v-neck cardigan at 60% off, and ordered in a simple but beautifully made grey wool shift dress that I think will form the basis of my winter wardrobe ...

But that's not all. Emboldened, I ventured into the city to buy lipstick. More success - two MAC lippies, one a wearable red (Lady Bug), and another everyday colour with the alarming name of Hot Tahiti.

So what if the only 'people' who see my lipstick all day are the cats and dogs. I'm sure they'll appreciate me making the effort.


6 comments:

materfamilias said...

I clicked on that collection -- truly, I could happily wear any piece in it! (I love the combo pictured in your post, too bad about the skirt length). I can well imagine that this simple, clean, and sophisticated aesthetic will suit you very well.
And, a lipstick called Lady Bug??
How perfect is that! Enjoy!

Tiffany said...

Yes, I love the simple style of the collection and many of the colours too. I've actually ordered the sweater in the photo (cashmere) too :)

Rubi said...

I'm a great believer in the power of lippy. Even if I'm hanging out in yoga pants and a sweater, I have some color on my lips. Otherwise, I feel sort of invisible, and that will never do!

Tiffany said...

Rubi, we are obviously kindred spirits - champagne and lippy are vital ingredients for a happy life, right?!

Susan B said...

Oh, those are some lovely pieces! I'm glad you were able to find some pleasing options. And hooray on the new lippies. A fresh color is a definite mood lifter.

Tiffany said...

Thanks Pseu - it is heartening to find clothes I like, I must say. Too often I buy stuff I don't really care for, simply because I can't find anything I love. As for lippy, it's amazing how cheering a little tube of colour can be!