27 February 2011

Saturday Night Fever

Yesterday (Saturday) we went to see Opera Australia's current production of Madama Butterfly. I don't 'speak music' (any family musical genes, plus the genes for height, athleticism and patience, skipped me), so all I can say is that I absolutely loved it.

The set design and costumes were amazing, the orchestra incredible, the singers wonderful. I cried. Even Spouse said he felt quite emotional at the end of it.

Going to the opera at the Opera House is always an experience. This time, because it was a matinee, we walked straight out the theatre door to the view of the harbour, in full summer mode. It was busy and beautiful. It seemed a pity to rush home, so we had a glass of champagne and some oysters down at the Oyster Bar on Circular Quay, then caught a ferry to Birchgrove (ferry wharf pictured), where my long-suffering brother (who had been amusing Kids 1 and 2 at Bondi Beach, just to squeeze a few more Sydney cliches in) picked us up.


After all that emotion, no cooking was going to happen. We had Japanese takeaway for dinner, just to keep it thematic.

4 comments:

materfamilias said...

That sounds like a perfect day! Odd, a bit, for me, to associate opera-going and especially M. Butterfly, with sunshine and high temps (daylight, in fact!). Our season barely noses into spring before it's done, so while it's still light at 7:30, 8 as we arrive, it's soon dark -- and even if it's a relatively warm spring day, it will cool off quickly at night.
I've always found Butterfly's aria so beautiful, so sad, but many years ago, when I played it for my youngest daughter, then perhaps 11 or 12, and explained why B. was so devastated, she was absolutely incredulous that a woman would kill herself because of some jerk of a man. So many of those great operatic narratives seem ludicrous to any young woman with an ounce of feminist self-respect -- doesn't stop them from offering stunning music that captures human emotions. Hope you brought Kleenex. . .
and btw, what did you wear?

Tiffany said...

Yes, it is odd to have bright daylight and heat after the opera ...

I totally understand your daughter's perspective, which I share on a personal level. I guess I just it aside and think of the story in its own context. It's not opera if you can't let yourself be carried away by it!

As for clothes, it was so hot that I wore a simple knee-length dress and nice flat sandals (blazer in case it was cold inside, but it wasn't). A summer matinee is pretty casual, but both Spouse and I were appalled to see someone wearing thongs (flip flops).

materfamilias said...

Dress and sandals sounds like the way to go, dressy enough but appropriate for both weather AND afternoon gig -- flip-flops takes it one step too far, I agree, especially since you have the marvelous building, def. deserving of a bit of dressing-up.

Tiffany said...

The Opera House is indeed incredible. I've lived in Sydney for 25 years now, but I still get a thrill whenever I see it.