13 February 2011

Saturday Night Fever

Saturday was grey and rainy, which might sound miserable but provided much needed water for the garden. Today is more or less the same.

Last night I didn't do anything very interesting in the kitchen. We are doing the annual FebFast, where not a drop of wine or beer passes our lips for the month (except Spouse always cheats). I find that hanging around in the kitchen for hours on end is much less fun without a glass of wine ... Anyway, to torture Spouse, I did beef in stout and red wine, with mushrooms and mash. It was delicious but unphotogenic, in the way of most stews.


Still on the topic of food, somehow word got round that I like doing food for parties. Kid 2's school is planning a cocktail party event at the Writers' Centre (isn't it pretty?) just down the road and they've asked me to cater. I'm sure I remember saying, at some point, that I should learn to say 'no' sometimes, but I failed. So, next month I'll probably be doing canapes for 80 people ...

4 comments:

Susan B said...

Oh my gosh, you are brave. Canapes for 80???

I have a refrigerator magnet that says "I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Tiffany said...

Brave? Maybe just foolish ...

I think I need that fridge magnet.

materfamilias said...

I second what Pseu says re bravery, although I know you actually enjoy this kind of cooking and you handle it with marvelous aplomb.
That stew sounds wonderful -- Paul's making up gnocchi (from scratch, he says that's nothing) with mushrooms in a red wine reduction, to accompany grilled lamb chops. I'm sitting watching him, nursing my runner's not-quite-so-high-anymore!

Tiffany said...

Home made gnocchi is always the best! Sounds like a lovely meal, and one you'll be needing after the run :)