04 October 2010

Running on Empty

I have a brief blogging hiatus and they change Blogger on me?! I used to link all my post titles to relevant movie reviews, but I don't seem to be able to do that any more. Progress, pah ... am I becoming a Luddite?

That's not what this post is about. Neither is it about the idiotic busy-ness of my life at the moment, although I could probably go on about that for ever. It's about something else altogether more worthy.

As I've mentioned a few times, we're off to New York in four weeks' time. Andrew is running the marathon and has decided to use it as a fundraising opportunity, which I think is rather good of him. Little Miss Sunshine was born 14 weeks premature, and spent a long time in hospital, so he's trying to use his run to raise a few dollars for the hospital she was in.

My feelings towards the hospital are a little more ambivalent than his, but I'm eternally grateful for our healthcare system - in the US, we would have been bankrupted by the care she required; in many other countries, she simply would not have made it.

4 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

How exciting - the NY marathon! I did a half marathon once and always thought that if I progressed it'd have to be the New York run.

Tiffany said...

It is exciting, isn't it? He's going for a personal best time; I'm going shopping and browsing art galleries and visiting museums and eating ...

materfamilias said...

Oh, how I wish my leave were this semester rather than next -- if I could, I'd book a flight and join you in New York. Sadly, abandoning three classes mid-term is frowned upon . . . I'll have to rely on your recounting, should you find any time for posting about your trip.

Tiffany said...

What a shame, mater! Imagine what fun we could have together ... But yes, I am actually planning to buy myself a little netbook, just so I can post while away.