16 October 2010

Up

Yesterday I was supposed to turn 30 kilos of potatoes into potato salad for an outdoor movie night at Kid 2's school. The forecast was dire, and we made the call at 10am to postpone. I found homes for all the potatoes (guess what we'll be eating for a while?) ... and of course the damn sun came out in the afternoon. But the wind was crazy, so that would have been a bit disastrous.

So instead of churning out potato salad, I worked, which was probably a good thing. With our dollar almost at parity with the greenback, I see some shopping in NYC in my future.

After a day schlepping spuds and editing a book on criminal law (who knew I was so multi-talented?) I decided I needed to do some yoga. And ... tada ... I kicked up into handstand for the first time in my whole life! Ok, yeah, I know this means nothing to most people, but it is a HUGE deal to me. 1. I hate being upside down. 2. I have hypermobile elbow joints that make standing on my hands seem both illogical and dangerous. 3. I am completely uncoordinated.

I do apologise to all three (or was it two?) of my readers for the yoga-ness of this blog at the moment. I promise to cook and buy clothes and do other things as well, at some point. In fact, I am planning to cook something interesting for dinner tonight, given that it is the first 'regular' Saturday night at home for a while (although we will be missing Kid 2, at a sleepover ...).

5 comments:

Susan B said...

Congratulations on your handstand!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Pseu. I think the best part about it is the realisation that - despite having always been unathletic, etc - I can actually achieve physical stuff even as I get older ...

materfamilias said...

Don't be apologizing to me! I'm fascinated by the yoga thing, and as someone who prayed (literally) to sneak out of turn without notice in gym class boxhorse drill, I'm also very admiring of your talent.
I feel the same way as you do about my current level of fitness, which I dare to suspect surpasses that of many of the show-offs who blithely vaulted over that horse, could do flips on the trampoline and hand-springs on the mat. Running and Pilates I can manage quite nicely, mainly through sheer persistence, and it feels really good. Doesn't it?!!

Tiffany said...

Mater, your gym experience sounds just like mine - despite always having been flexible, I was paralysed by fear. In every other physical endeavour I was simply hopeless (although Kid 1 is now teaching me to catch with a mitt!).

Perhaps those of us who really work at our physical achievements - as you clearly do; I'm in awe of your running - get more satisfaction and worth out of them than those who were more 'naturally' talented at a young age. A lesson I should probably extend into other areas of my life too :)

Mardel said...

Congratulations on the handstand! I am in awe.

In fact, if any part of me flexed, I would love to try yoga and admire anyone who can give it a go. Although I've long been a believer in the power of persistence.