11 October 2010

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

My yoga teacher went on holiday for two weeks. Very very unkind of her. I had to subsist on home practice. And then she came back and tortured me. She made me do this pose.

Pic from http://www.yogaartandscience.com/: Supta padangusthasana III
This guy is clearly some super-yoga dude, and even HE looks uncomfortable. Maybe that's why it's the only picture of this pose I could find.

I suggested my teacher might like to head off on holiday again soon.

But ... I also managed to do this pose Off The Wall (for about 5 seconds, it's true, but STILL).

Pic from http://www.sarawhitney.net/
Of course, I didn't look anything like that. I probably looked like some crazy flailing thing. But progress is exciting.

8 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

After a year of pilates my technique has gone from bad to worse!

Tiffany said...

TNMA, I have days when it seems I'm less flexible, less strong and definitely less grounded than when I started practising yoga seriously ... and other days it comes together. I bet your Pilates has improved but maybe you're more aware of the subtleties?

materfamilias said...

This looks so very cool. My daughters were comparing their success with The Crow at dinner last night, and it made me wonder if I should take a break from Pilates and try something new . . . Although the PIlates is doing what I want it to, and it works for my schedule . . .

Tiffany said...

Mater, I'd definitely say give yoga a go if it appeals - it's completely addictive! I have never before in my life set aside time that is for me and only me, but for yoga I do. It's a bit of a revelation ...

Gorilla Bananas said...

Have you ever tried ape yoga? It makes a lot more use of gravity than the normal kind.

Tiffany said...

Can't say I've ever heard of 'ape yoga' ... Monkey mind, yes.

Rubi said...

My favorite kind of yoga is the kind you do reclining on the floor, propped up by lots of bolsters, pillows, and blankets. And then you sort of fall asleep.

Maybe I'll work my way back up to standing poses one of these days.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like restorative yoga, Rubi. I am WAY too twitchy for that, although I do enjoy my five minutes sarvasana at the end of class ...