10 October 2010

Saturday Night Fever

I had an interesting experience on Friday. A friend dropped by late afternoon, and was trying to work out how to get back to her place to drop off her son and get changed, in order to get back closer to town for work drinks by a certain time.

I suggested she leave her son with us overnight (he is Kid 1's best friend, after all) and go from our place. 'But look at my hair. And my clothes. And my FACE', she said.

'Use my makeup and borrow my clothes', I said.

So she did. Strangely, rummaging through my tiny wardrobe for someone else was much more fun that trying to work out what to wear myself. And when she was ready I thought 'wow, I like that outfit'. It's certainly a new way to look at one's clothes.

Last night the boys went to watch Australia vs Paraguay (soccer) so Kid 2 and I had a girls' night in. We watched telly and I enjoyed NOT cooking.

I sort of made up for it today. We had friends over for lunch, so I made a Spanish tortilla, snapper ceviche and a salad of roasted sweet potatoes with chorizo and chargrilled asparagus with a green chilli dressing. Dessert was crema Catalan, which is pretty much the same as creme brulee except the milk & cream are infused with lemon & orange zest and cinnamon instead of vanilla. I thought we'd killed it because I put it in the oven in the bain marie as we went out to drop the boys off last night - but instead of 30 minutes, the round trip took closer to an hour. But it was fine ...

And tomorrow both kids are back to school. Sigh.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

Hmmmm, that's an interesting way to get a fresh look at the wardrobe. I used to get a bit of that when my daughters would rifle through mine, but that came with a cost . . .
I love the sound of that Creme Catalan; actually, the whole meal sounds delish (I hardly ever do ceviche but I really like it!)

Tiffany said...

It certainly is a way to get a new look - sadly, it also means I've been without a favourite pair of shoes for several day ...

I ate ceviche constantly when we were in Peru, but it's the first time I've made it myself. I combined several recipes to get something I liked and I have to say it was really delicious.