12 March 2010

Cat People


I have a meeting with a potential new client later today, so I dressed a little more carefully than usual this morning. Dress, heels, etc. The outfit was looking slightly blah, so I pulled out a leopard print silk scarf and fiddled around with that for a while. Then I took it off and put it back in the wardrobe, because the word 'cougar' suddenly popped into my head.

And now I'm cranky about it. How is it that a tiny bit of animal print - that used to be chic in small doses - now makes me worry that I'll be perceived as some sort of desperate 'older' woman? I know it's entirely in my head, but it would have bothered me all day if I'd worn it.

Should I have worn it anyway or should I save it for times when I'm not trying to make a positive first impression? People who know me wouldn't give two figs if I wore red satin and leather pants (which, rest assured, I haven't done since the mid 90s).

3 comments:

Susan B said...

I really think leopard print has become mainstream and no longer has those "on the prowl" connotations. Wear that leopard; in small doses it's chic!

materfamilias said...

I second Pseu's wisdom (although my opinion might not be as reliable as hers, given that I own a leopard-print coat -- prrrrowww!)

Tiffany said...

Oooh, I'd LOVE a leopard print coat! And yes, you're both right, I should have worn the scarf. The guy (new client) was so insanely intense he probably wouldn't have noticed if I was wearing only a red bikini - it was all about HIM.