14 March 2010

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I mentioned on Friday my leopard print scarf quandary (yes, I know, I need a real problem). I was meeting a potential new client, and wanted to create the appropriate impression.

As it turned out, I could have turned up in a bikini or a tutu and the guy wouldn't have blinked. Or noticed. He was quite extraordinary. Well-groomed to an extent that I find off-putting in a man (or even a woman, really) - suspiciously well-shaped eyebrows, frown-free forehead, shiny skin. As far as impressions go, the first thing this said to me was 'vain'.

We sat down, and he talked at me for half an hour before I managed to say a thing. In that time I heard about the girlfriend who was moving out of his apartment that day because apparently she'd been having an affair; the fact that said nearly-ex-girlfriend was helping herself to his stuff in the process; his opinion of Gen Y and his staff generally; his recent removal of a great deal of 'dead wood' from his employ; and his devotion to spending at least several weeks a year on personal development.

I was trying to describe him to Andrew later, and the best I could manage was that he was a like a motivational speaker on amphetamines.

Wow. I sipped my jasmine tea and nodded and took mental notes. At the end of the hour, he shook my hand, said 'It's been great meeting you, so glad you'll be able to do the work'. I must have missed the part of the conversation that touched on the point of the meeting ...

2 comments:

Wendy said...

So what exactly is the work you'll be doing for this self-centred freak?

Tiffany said...

Just some subbing/proofing of corporate documents. But I'm charging my standard hourly rate, so it's money for jam. So long as I don't have to work in his actual vicinity, it will be fine!