07 March 2010

Saturday Night Fever

I confess that I wimped out last night, and instead of cooking something new, I cooked an old favourite that I haven't made for a while. It's what Nigel Slater calls 'coq au riesling' - much like a coq au vin, but with riesling and the addition of cream and parsley at the end. That didn't seem like enough hard work so while it simmered away I made a pear tarte tatin, which I haven't actually done before.

I ate the tarte for breakfast, having eaten way too much chicken & baguette to fit any in last night. It was divine. I really should have taken photos, although it (the tarte but also the whole meal) was 'rustic' rather than pretty.

Andrew looked aghast when he saw the lump of butter (only 100g!?) going into the pan to caramelise the pears, but it didn't stop him having two helpings. Of course, he ran for two hours this morning. I just ate ...

3 comments:

Susan B said...

Sounds delicious! I'm going to have to check out some Nigel Slater cookbooks. So tired of the same old same old!

materfamilias said...

I love the sound of a pear tarte tatin, maybe even better than apple -- your Saturday Night Fever posts always make me think I should be trying to cook more new or challenging weekend meals.

Tiffany said...

Pseu, I love Nigel Slater as there is no nonsense to his cooking, but fabulous flavours. He's like a more sedate Jamie Oliver, really ... And Mater, I do my SNF posts for exactly that reason - to prompt me to spend some time cooking good/new/interesting/slow/tricky stuff as it's so easy not to. I do love food and cooking, but during the week it really does mostly seem like a chore at the end of the day. Saturday afternoon is my 'date' with food, I guess, to keep the romance alive!