22 March 2010

Saturday Night Fever

On Saturday night we had a games night, but we spent at least as much time eating as we did playing. We started with some tapas - I spent a very happy time browsing the deli and buying Spanish delights - jamon, chilli-stuffed olives, manchego (with my home made quince paste) and mushrooms with olive oil, sherry and garlic (also home made). Main was paella, followed by a dulce de leche cheesecake.

It's a miracle anyone could move inside to the library/dining room after all that. We played a game called Cranium, which I'd not played before but was tremendously fun. My love of anagrams stood me in good stead.

In the course of tidying up and sorting out before the evening, we made the radical decision to move my big dining table up to the library. It works so well in there that we're leaving it there and getting a smaller table for the kitchen. I guess that's the thing about moving into a new house - it takes a while to get a feel for what works where. I had originally planned the library to be a room I could escape to and read, but it just wasn't working that way.

And the great thing about have a wall of books in your dining room is that it sparks some excellent conversation!

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

Okay, that's it! I'm going to invite some friends for dinner this weekend and cook up something interesting -- I keep saying you're inspiring me, but then failing to follow through. Paella is Pater's specialty, and I used to quite often invite people for dinner knowing I could count on him making it -- which makes the entertaining pretty easy! Your dessert sounds beyond amazing -- dulce da leche already fab, then it's in a cheesecake! Wow! and wow again! I'm full just reading about it. . .

Tiffany said...

Mater, I look forward to reading all about it! I read that in Spain paella is traditionally cooked by men so it's good to hear Pater keeps up his end of things! My spouse kicks in by doing the shopping and eating the results ...