28 August 2009

Babette's Feast

Holden came home with an assignment the other day. 'Mum', he said, 'I have to cook an Italian meal for the family, and then hand in recipes and menu (in Italian) and photos'.

Well, thank goodness he comes from a foodie family, I say.

We discussed various options, and he finally settled on: prosciutto wrapped melon; osso buco with gremolata, served with ciabatta and salad; gelato (bought) for dessert.

Here's how it went ...

1. He squealed when asked to dust the veal shin in seasoned flour ('it feels gross, mum!'), but bravely persisted.

2. He chopped garlic with great gusto and surprising skill.


3. It all simmered away while he wrapped melon in prosciutto and made salad dressing and gremolata.



4. We ate lots and lots.


5. I think he'll pass his assignment.

4 comments:

Christina Lee said...

awww very cool!!

materfamilias said...

What a great learning experience about real food -- wonderful to roll those Italian names off the tongue and know you can cook them -- osso buco! proscuitto! gremolata!
your son looks very capable in the kitchen, btw -- those foodie genes are showing through!

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Can he come to my place next and cook for me?

Tiffany said...

Mater, it is a good experience, isn't it? I'm really happy that his school gives the boys assignments like these.

And Imogen, I'm planning to get him fully trained so he can cook one meal a week at my house - but I might be able to lend him out some time ...