20 August 2009

Something's Gotta Give

I try to avoid using this blog as a whingeing forum. From time to time I like to have a minor vent, but if I were to overindulge, it could quickly become nothing more than a litany of complaints. Instead, I'd rather post about frivolous, cheerful things. Apart from anything else, it helps me focus on the good things in my life.

Today, however, I'm allowing myself a ticket of leave.

For much of the time since late May, I have had, through no choice of my own, extra people in my house. It is a small house, and I work from a studio at the end of the garden. I am accustomed to a lot of solitude, and I like it.

Right now I have no space, no solitude and no choice. I am not enjoying it. And then I feel bad because I should be happy to open my house to people who want somewhere to be (although there are other options that they choose not to take). Maybe I'm a bad person because I really just want everyone (except my little nuclear family) to go away and let me have my old, quiet life back.

It is especially hard because these are our last months in this house, where we have been for seven and a half years. I would like my memories of it to be of happy times, rather than stressed, overcrowded times.

Ok, that is enough self-indulgence. Tomorrow I will find the silver lining (hopefully in an article of clothing!).

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I must say that I enjoy the rants, they make me feel so much better about having a rant myself.
I know what you mean about getting your house back. My parents came over when I had Blake and stayed for 4 weeks. They thought they were helping but really, when you're getting used to a new baby and having to look after guests as well, it's a bit much. I felt bad when they left because I knew that they knew that I wanted them to leave.
The new house sounds like a great project - however - better you than me! We've just finished some renovations and that was quite enough!
Hope all is well with you. Are you still planning to go to S'pore in August?

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

The silver is that you have extra people in your life - a fireman friend told me yesterday how he'd just had to break into a house that had a dead man in it for a number of days - he had no extra people in his life looking out for him. Now that is sad.

Tiffany said...

Hey Lisa, good to hear from you. We are definitely on the same wavelength when it comes to the 'helpful' visit. As for the new house, yes, it's going to be quite the project ... will keep you posted. And yes, DEFINITELY going to S'pore for the reunion - you?

Imogen - thanks for reminding me of that. In the mood I'm in, I reckon I could drop dead and nobody would notice until they wondered where their clean laundry was ... :)

materfamilias said...

I'm with Lisa -- I think that the occasional rant lets the rest of know that they're normal, that we're all human. And as rants go, yours was pretty measured.

I'm really, really big on my down time, my own space -- maybe because I had years and years with a big houseful, but even then, I'd always find a way to have time to myself for at least an hour a day.

Tiffany said...

Mater, I'm glad I'm not alone (actually I wish I were!). But I squeezed in a yoga class today, so even if it wasn't solitude, it was 100% me time, and I feel so much better for it!

sallymandy said...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a rant, and you must have good reasons for your feelings! I certainly understand about losing solitude. I hope you'll allow yourself to speak up if you need to. Hugs, SM♥

Tiffany said...

Sallymandy, you're back! Lovely to hear from you and thank you for your supportive words, as always.